You’re no stranger to putting on events, right?
If you’re fortunate, you don’t work at a church that has multiple “major” events every month. (LOL)
No matter the size of your event, you want it to be done with excellence and minimal stress.
Reality check… things WILL sometimes not go according to the plan.
So here are some things you can do to make sure that your events flow smoothly.
1. Have a WRITTEN plan – you should have ONE checklist with assigned roles and duties clearly identified.
2. Have an event binder – keep all of the related documents, invoices, vendor list, etc. in this binder. Use tabs to keep each section separate. NEVER be caught without your binder. You can also take the items that you’ll need on event day out and make a spiral bound book (at Kinkos) and it will be easier to handle when things gets super busy during your event.
3. Make sure you and your Pastor are on the same page with your plan – your Pastor may be hands off, but you still want to at least have an “event rundown” meeting prior to start time.
4. Recruit volunteers to help you – when you recruit your volunteers, be as specific as possible about their roles and assignments. If possible, make small cards with a description of their area and duty and give it to them when they check in.
5. Have a “right hand person” – this is a big one. You can’t be everywhere at the same time. You need someone (or a few people) who can be your “go to” person. Only assign this role to people who you know can a) make good decisions and b) knows how to follow instructions well. You don’t want someone who will take it upon themselves to go outside of what you want them to do.
6. Relax and be flexible – in the heat of the moment things may have to change. Be flexible and relax. Learn how to go with the flow and think quickly on your feet. Be in problem solving mode instead of problem announcing mode. When there is an issue, if you are relaxed and willing to be flexible, you’ll think clearer and react faster.
What tricks do you have when it comes to pulling off events? Share below…