Summer is officially here!
(*gasp*) It was JUST the beginning of Spring!
For many church secretaries and assistants this means organizing:
– Vacation Bible School
– Youth Conferences
– Camps and Retreats
… and many other things.
All while still doing the “regular” work of running the church office, managing calendars, and supporting pastoral needs.
Summer is a good time to purge, declutter, and organize so that you can go into Fall with ease, ready for all of the holiday events to come.
I came across an article that I thought had some really good tips for getting “Summer Organized”. 🙂
I thought about you and wanted to share some of the top tips.
- Purge – this one is almost always at the top of any list and doesn’t really need any explanation. Get rid of everything that isn’t needed anymore.
- Make a Place for Everything – I don’t know about you but I’m the “everything has its place” type. 🙂 So with this one you simply gather everything that is out of place and put it back where it belongs or establish a place for it.
- Create Work Areas – I thought this one was good because it helps to establish a habit of consistency. Even if you have a smaller office, having a space set aside where you draft letters, or update accounting books can help you stay focused to finish those tasks.
- Update Your Filing System – If you can get rid of papers and move things to digital, this would be a great time to do it. Check out this article for a system implementation idea.
- Clear Off Your Desk – I talk about this in the Vault… there is research that shows desk clutter distracts you throughout the day and causes you to waste time looking at post-it notes, reorganizing papers, etc. Something as simple as a clean desk makes you more productive.
- Set Times to Go Through Emails & Mail – Having an established time to go through mail and email saves time and makes you more productive. It creates focus… you’re not constantly stopping and starting what you’re working on to do other things. It helps to eliminate scattered thinking and feeling like you haven’t accomplished all that you wanted at the end of the day.
I hope these tips help!
P.S. The training and information in the Church Office Mastery Training Vault has helped hundreds of church secretaries and assistants get organized, get rid of stress, get in sync with their leaders, and accomplish so much more than they imagined! Click here and get access to all 21 trainings inside the Vault today.