TITLE: Church Secretary/Executive Assistant/Administrative Assistant
HOURS: Monday – Friday (Salaried – 40 hours per week) Weekend hours may also be required depending on church programs & events
- Must be a member in good standing
- College graduate or equivalent work-related experience
- Minimum of five years experience as an executive secretary
- Minimum typing – 85 WPM with accuracy and transcribing experience
- Strong computer skills are imperative (MS Windows, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Proficiency in the use of standard of office tools: typewriter, copy machine, etc.
- Strong organizational skills
- Have excellent command of English composition and punctuation
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Primary function is to oversee all activities of the main church office as well as providing supervisory oversight to support staff including Secretaries, Receptionists and other clerical staff. This person would report directly to the Senior Pastor / Executive Director / Department Manager
JOB DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Maintenance and organization of reception area.
- Ordering and maintenance of office supplies and equipment.
- Organization and maintenance of church calendar (and pastor/director/manager calendar).
- Pick up, distribution and dissemination of all mail and correspondence.
- Screening and routing all incoming calls.
- Answer mail – correspondence (writing letters), phone calls, etc.
- Check email and respond.
- Coordinate scheduling for weddings and baptisms.
- Type, print, and fold weekly bulletins.
- Keep accurate membership records (new members, baptisms, weddings, deaths, etc.).
- Process baby dedication requests and prepare baby dedication certificates.
- Prepare Annual Reports.
- Schedule and attend board meetings and record minutes.
- Routine filing of paperwork.
- Prepare new members information packets and coordinate receptions.
- Coordinate travel arrangements for speaking engagements
- Setup up counseling meetings and other appointments.
- Coordinate employee meetings, lunches, etc.
- Notify all Pastoral Staff of member hospitalizations, deaths, etc.
- Prepare, proof, print, and disburse weekly bulletins.
- Route incoming faxes to appropriate staff.
- Maintain and up-date all standard forms and ministry literature.
- Maintain petty cash with accurate records and receipts.
The following items can be used if there is no accounting manager or business administrator:
- Process weekly payroll.
- Make sure quarterly payroll reports are completed and submitted.
- Pay all incoming invoices.
- Some accounting and bookkeeping.
- Prepare and maintain an Office Procedures & Reference Manual.
OTHER GENERAL EXPECTATIONS INCLUDE:
- Should always exhibit professionalism, demonstrated by well groomed appearance, conscientious work ethic, teachability and accountability.
- Should be willing and able to work at a fast pace within a variety of settings and circumstances, with composure and flexibility.
- Should be willing to work evenings and weekends occasionally.
- Should be willing to travel occasionally as the need arises.
- Should be ever conscious of the need for confidentiality.
- Should always exercise discernment and wise judgment.
- Should be a person who gives extreme attention to details with an eye for excellence.
- Should have a non-lackadaisical attitude with the willingness to seek new information, training, and resources as needed.
- Should be a self-starter, good at multi-tasking and prioritizing projects.
- Should possess strong administrative skills and the ability to work independently without supervision.
Of course this is not an all encompassing list of duties. It is just a guide to help you get a good understanding of the types of tasks you should be doing each day.
Discover The Secrets To Taking Back Control Of Your Time, Getting Organized, Eliminating Office Clutter And Getting More Done… IN JUST A FEW SIMPLE STEPS
Get the Church Office Mastery Newsletter for regular tips and special offers. You’ll get the bonus 5 Secrets Action Guide when you Subscribe!
It’s a must-read report for any church secretary or assistant who is tired of being frustrated, unorganized and stressed out! Inside the report you’ll learn:
- How to organize yourself for maximum efficiency
- How to prioritize and finish your “to-do” list in record time
- How to find balance and avoid bitterness and burn-out
- How to identify and eliminate the top 3 huge productivity thieves
- How to manage major ministry events and still crush your “regular” to-do list